Let it be pointed out that the contemporary church is already the third religious building standing at one and the same place. The first two churches featuring adjacent cemeteries were made of wood. The former dates back to 1297. It served well until the 16th century, when it was replaced by the second church made of wood as well, standing on a masonry sustaining wall and heading from the West to the East.
There are also records of its indoor decoration including the picture of the Virgin Mary of Ústí. In 1673, it was supplemented with the following inscription: “The image of the miraculous Virgin, that brooded over the citizensʼ heads and that was hurt by the Hungarians.ˮ The just depicted historical event might not be a mere fable, but may be based on the events taking place between 1468 – 1469, when the armies of Matthias Corvinus crossed this land and plundered the surroundings.
A fundamental change in the development of the local parish took place on 3 April 1728 after the arrival of the first dean of Ústí, Jan Leopold Mosbender. It was him who initiated the foundation of the todays building of deanery between 1742 – 1748. Moreover, he also participated in the construction works of the Stations of the cross, which he consecrated in June 1755. However, the climax of his work represents the foundation of a completely new church, which began by the demolition of the old one on 17 May 1770. Its foundation stone was laid already on 21 July 1770 and this time, the church axis was oriented from the South to the North. The author of the building plans was the architect Jakub Pank of Veselí na Moravě. The demanding construction works continued until 1776, due to which its initiator could not see its completion. He died on 24 July 1776 at the age of 83 years and was buried in this very church. His burial place is commemorated by a brass plaque provided with an inscription. In respect to the inauspicious economic situation, it took another five years to finish the construction works. The altar picture was painted by the Viennese painter Jan Dallinger of Dallingen. The author of the abundant main alter decoration is the local wood-carver Josef Pirkl. There are five bells in the tower, all of which are still handled manually. Since 1803, there has been the choir called “The Cecilian Music Societyˮ in the town.
At the northern outskirts of Ústí nad Orlicí, there is a quarter called Oldřichovice, through which the Tichá Orlice river flows. The river has always been a suitable place for water sports. It would not be unusual to spot kayaks, canoes or other boats there, but it would be more unusual, though, to think of providing the watermen with pull-ins, refreshment stalls and camping sites. In 1997, a group of creative enthusiasts took note of this shortcoming.
Organised within one of the fractions of the Czech Tourist Club called HORAL, they proceeded to establish a tourist facility in Cakle. In the beginning, the focus was mainly on the watermenʼs requirements. The facility comprised a shipyard, a clubroom enabling accomodation for roughly twenty people and a small kitchen. The area, enjoying great popularity, was supplemented with a buffet offering common refreshment as well as with a WC and a camping site. In 2006, the facility was provided with a guest house with fifteen beds. These seemingly modest conditions gave rise to the contemporary unique camping site for 120 people including a roofed buffet, a guest house, shower rooms and toilets.
The trek and mountain bike rental along with additional sport equipment is as appealing as the possibility of horse riding. Should the visitors fancy trying something yet more adventurous, they are free to rent a boat and sail down the narrow meanders of the Tichá Orlice river, to conquer the 10-meter-high climbing wall or to master Tarzanʼs rope way. The active tourism resort in Cakle is nowadays available especially to sport fans, but also to families with children. It offers a unique opportunity for relaxation and active tourism. Having dealt with sport exclusively so far, it also ought to be mentioned that the resort regularly becomes the venue of various cultural events, such as Benátská noc, Janouškovo Ústí or Caklefest.
Manʼs aspiration to achieve health of both body and soul has been in existence since time immemorial. It needs even not be reminded of the pioneers of this motto, Miroslav Tyrš and Jindřích Fügner. Of course, there have always been many active supporters of recreational as well as semi-professional sport in Ústí nad Orlicí.
The origin of this tradition dates back to the first half of the 20th century. The local swimmers were the first to make use of the Tichá Orlice river not only to bathe there, but also to start building a rather primitive swimming pool. Sufficient distance from the town enabled them to make use of the flat meadows and build there an athletic stadium as well as tennis clay courts, which became famous all over the Czech Republic in the course of the following decades. Each year, there are several tournaments organised, of which the most famous one is the Rieter Cup. The location of these sport facilities in the proximity of the river did not change even in the course of the following years. On the contrary, the existing facilities were step by step extended into a complete sports centre, which deserves the attribute “first-class”. After repeated and, unfortunately, unsuccessful attempts at establishing an outdoor swimming pool, there came the year 2000 and the common dream came finally true. A modern, perfectly equipped outdoor swimming pool offering numerous opportunities for active relaxation was opened in Ústí in that year. It features a childrenʼs pool as well as a bouncy castle. The facility also comprises a 101-meter-long water slide, access for disabled people and a wide range of refreshment items.
Another part of todays sports centre composes of three football pitches, of which two are covered with a classical turf and one with the third generation artificial turf. The athletic stadium with tartan track is comparable to other first-class facilities of this kind in the Czech Republic. The modernized sauna along with the winter stadium, which is available all year round, should not be left out from this description, either. During the summer time, it is suitable for IN-LINE and BANDY hockey as well. The whole area includes also the Sporthotel Tichá Orlice. Apart from the hotel services, the visitors have a well-equipped fintess-centre at their disposal.
To found the town cemetery Na Hýblí was not as easy as one would expect. The imperial-royal authorities in Lanškroun issued ordinance to found a new cemetery in Ústí already in 1888. The existing one at the Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary had not been sufficient for a long time due to reverent and, above all, sanitary reasons. However, it took five years before the order was carried out. Only in 1893 on the All Saintsʼ Day was the recently founded cemetery (divided into 4 sections) opened in the place called "Na Hýblíˮ.
The newly created places were filled within a very short period of time, which made the imperial-royal authorities in Lanškroun to order the municipal council in Ústí to extend the current cemetery. However, those in charge did not act very promptly, so the lower section of the cemetery was not opened until 1926.
Since then the cemetery has been used regardless of confession, that is why people of various religions are burried here. As a whole, the cemetery is significant because of its arrangement, conservative cemetery architecture and also because of its sculptural decoration. The cemetery is also decorated by a couple of works by Quido Kocian, who was born in Ústí and who was the representative of the Czech high symbolism and secession. The local skillful monumental mason František Koukol participated in the sculptural decoration as well. The author of the stone cross representing the proud of the cemetery is the monumental mason from Choceň, Josef Rail.
Theatre is always conscience of our age. The one in Ústí nad Orlicí is no exception. Apart from strong singing and musical traditions, the town is also known for the theatre tradition, whose origin dates back to 1836. Its beginnings were rather minimalistic. All the greater was the desire to build an own theatre building.
Hence, the supporters of this idea started to systematically work in order to implement their plans. In 1896, the amateur theatre society called Vicena was founded, which consequently led to the establishment of another organisation called Club for the Support of the Theatre Building in June 1919. Its primary task was to collect financial resources. Ten years later, the negotiations for the possibility of inviting tender for the architectonic plans of the theatre building were triggered off. Professor ThDr. PhDr. Josef Cibulka, the prominent historian of arts, the scientist known all around Europe and what is more, the local native, was asked for cooperation in this affair, too.
It was he who recommended to invite tender and hence decide, who would be to design the theatre building – whether the local builder Jaroslav Radechovský or the Prague architect Kamil Roškot. Why was this person actually mentioned? Cibulka would be often present at the Prague Castle, where he met Kamil Roškot during the adjustment of the tombs of the Bohemians kings in the St. Vitus Cathedralʼs crypt. Roškot was the scholar of the professor Jan Kotěra. In spite of expertsʼ explicitly positive evaluation of Roškotʼs project, there were still lengthy and exhausting negotiations to take place. It was not easy at all to put this unconventional idea through in Ústí. Thanks to Cibulkaʼs commitment the decision to give way to Roškotʼs idea was met on 4 November 1934. The foundation stone was laid on 5 July 1935 and the grand opening of the theatre took place on 26 September 1936. The ceremony was part of the 100th anniversary of the amateur theatre and the 40th anniversary of the Vicena club. On this occassion, Bedřich Smetanaʼs opera The Secret was staged. In 1979, the Roškotʼs Theatre was declared cultural monument of the Czechoslovak republic.
Roškot gained his exceptional status within the Czech modern architecture exactly thanks to the theatre building in Ústí and consequently to the construction of the State Czechoslovak Pavillon on the Worldʼs Fair exhibition in New York (1938 – 1939).