This really luxurious villa in art noveau style was built by Florian Hernych (1855 – 1923) in order to confirm his significant status among the enterpreneurs in the local textile industry. And the price he is said to have paid for this extraordinary object is exorbitant. 460 000 Austrian crowns.
The responsibility for the building documentation was taken by Matěj Blecha, the prominent Prague architect and builder. His otherwise very successful company had to cooperate with other significant architects in order to be able to handle so many commissions at a time. Numerous proposals were provided between the years 1904 – 1907, when the project of Hernychʼs villa was being created, by the architect Emil Králíček and the sculptor Celda Klouček. Although there is no clear evidence, we can infer that the designer of the villa was Emil Králíček. The actual construction was conducted by Florian Hernychʼs brother Josef.
The new building No. 72 was given planning permission on 15 March 1906 and the final building approval took place on 25 February 1907. In spite of considerable financial problems of the Hernych company, the villa was owned by the Hernychs until 1951. In the following decades, various subjects displayed their interest in this building, but eventually, it was rented to the School of Music, the District Peopleʼs Library, the House of Culture and the school canteen. In 1971, the Memorial of the Revolution Tradition was placed here.
After the 1989 revolution, the villa underwent restitution and was passed on the former owners. The only institution whose seat stayed there was the Jaroslav Kocian School of Arts, whose managment paid rent to the owners. However, in 2002, the school had to move, too. The building, actually empty, came after complicated negotiations into the townʼs property in 2003. However, it had to undergo an extensive reconstruction so that it could serve as the Cultural and Social Centre for the Czech-Polish Borderland and as the townʼs museum. This reconstruction began in 2006 and finished on 26 April 2008 when it was opened.
The gardens surrounding the villa have become an open-air gallery and host several modern plastics, of which the most significant is the Dead Abel by the local sculptor Quido Kocian.
Considering its architectural style, this building is absolutely unique in the town and it definitely overshadows the rest of the local architecture.