While passing through Ústí nad Orlicí by train, or while entering it by car on the road leading from the Andrlův chlum hill, one simply cannot overlook the impressive school building. Despite the fact that the first negotiations for the possibility of building a new school in the town took place already during the 1890s, the grammar school was not standing there even at the beginning of the World War I.
A significant breakthrough came in 1907, in which year the local factory owner Florian Hernych along with his sons Emil and Richard donated the needed building plots. One year later, the local school board asked the Prague architect Jan Pacl to first elaborate the study and consequently also to complete the project for the building implementation. On one hand, the architect did not manage to hand over the documentation in time, on the other hand, some considerable financial problems occured, which led to strained relationships between both sides. Moreover, as the foundations were laid out in 1910 and the excavation works were about to begin, Jan Pacl unexpectedly rejected to participate in them. The task was therefore delegated on the local builder Josef Hernych.
Nevertheless, he was responsible only for concreting works and brickworks. All other tasks were assigned to local and Prague enterpreneurs on the basis of call for tenders. That was also one of the reasons why the deadline was postponed many times. The building was officially approved on 28 April 1914 so that it could be put into operation. However, the building was not complete even hereafter, as there were still finishing works going on for several months. Documents from 1916 even mention further building approval. Despite all these problems, the school obtained the utilization permit from the hauptmann and the chairman of the district school board on 6 November 1916. Unfortunately, this object was accompanied by various difficulties from the very beginning. First of all, the cellarage was flooded; and short therafter, the entry stairs had to be reconstructed. But the most complicated and tricky problems are still caused by the specific properties of the subsoil. The extremly plastic and deep loam causes the shift of the foundations and wall cracking. The resolution of this problem has cost much effort and investment already. Unfortunetly, there was no end to the conflict between the architect Pacl and the school board, which escalated in 1928, in which year both sides brought a suit against each other at the country court in Chrudim. The building had already been serving as a boysʼ school, though. It consisted of five comprehensive school classes and of four burgess school classes. The State Realgymnasium was not opened here until 1946. Let us also mention the successful negotiations between the town representatives and the local Sokol society for the construction of a gym, that would consequently be connected with the main building by a roofed corridor. It is also important to mention that both the school building and the gym are decorated by six relievos by the Czech sculptor Josef Drahoňovský. It was in this modern and magnificent school building that Ústí has found an object which has been successfully serving up to now.