Stations of the Cross
The origin of the stations of the cross is closely associated with romantic circumstances. Not facts, but the legend has it that one day, the local weaver Augustin Andres, who would regularly travel to Litomyšl to sell his goods, after overcoming the steepest part of the Andrlův chlum hill sat down to grass and fell asleep.
During his sleep, Virgin Mary appeared to him and asked him to build stations of the cross on the hillside he would regularly ascend. When the weaver woke up, he hesitated to believe the dream. However, his awe of God encouraged him to set to work. First, he won favour favour of the contemporary dean Jan Leopold Mosbender who even assisted him in collecting money for this purpose. The construction works took place between 1753 and 1755, the stations of the cross were consecrated by the dean on 28 October 1755. The hill, called "Řetovskýˮ until that event, was renamed as "Kalvárieˮ (The Calvary). Climatic influences as well as insufficient maintaining led to the destruction of this sight, from which only one chapel between the thirteenth and the fourteenth station has been preserved. The ruins of the original stations of the cross were replaced by completely new brick chapels between 1852 and 1853. They also required perfect maintainance, or rather renovation, which was conducted in the 1990s. Eleven of them are decorated with the sgraffitos by the local artist Zdeněk Brožek. The last three chapels are larger and their interior decoration is considerably richer. For that reason, they are provided with lockable doors that are opened only during significant religious holidays or on demand. The twelth chapel is renowned for the sculpture depicting Jesus Christ by František Bečka. The author of the painting placed in the thirteenth chapel called "Descent from the Crossˮ is Richard Pešek and the fourteenth chapel feautres the imitation of the Holy Sepulchure. These renovated and cultivated stations of the cross were consecrated on 12 June 1994.