Church of the Assumption of Virgin Mary
Let it be pointed out that the contemporary church is already the third religious building standing at one and the same place. The first two churches featuring adjacent cemeteries were made of wood. The former dates back to 1297. It served well until the 16th century, when it was replaced by the second church made of wood as well, standing on a masonry sustaining wall and heading from the West to the East.
There are also records of its indoor decoration including the picture of the Virgin Mary of Ústí. In 1673, it was supplemented with the following inscription: “The image of the miraculous Virgin, that brooded over the citizensʼ heads and that was hurt by the Hungarians.ˮ The just depicted historical event might not be a mere fable, but may be based on the events taking place between 1468 – 1469, when the armies of Matthias Corvinus crossed this land and plundered the surroundings.
A fundamental change in the development of the local parish took place on 3 April 1728 after the arrival of the first dean of Ústí, Jan Leopold Mosbender. It was him who initiated the foundation of the todays building of deanery between 1742 – 1748. Moreover, he also participated in the construction works of the Stations of the cross, which he consecrated in June 1755. However, the climax of his work represents the foundation of a completely new church, which began by the demolition of the old one on 17 May 1770. Its foundation stone was laid already on 21 July 1770 and this time, the church axis was oriented from the South to the North. The author of the building plans was the architect Jakub Pank of Veselí na Moravě. The demanding construction works continued until 1776, due to which its initiator could not see its completion. He died on 24 July 1776 at the age of 83 years and was buried in this very church. His burial place is commemorated by a brass plaque provided with an inscription. In respect to the inauspicious economic situation, it took another five years to finish the construction works. The altar picture was painted by the Viennese painter Jan Dallinger of Dallingen. The author of the abundant main alter decoration is the local wood-carver Josef Pirkl. There are five bells in the tower, all of which are still handled manually. Since 1803, there has been the choir called “The Cecilian Music Societyˮ in the town.